Old 07-14-2011, 04:30 PM
kwendt

Originally Posted by luvnquilt
Oooohhh, how appropriate for me too, I can't wait for the answer. I've got a japanese 15 that needs a new foot pedal after we replaced the cord, the foot pedal keeps getting really hot, so I'm interested in this topic. We were planning on just getting a new foot (I don't care if it's "authentic" looking). Best of luck :)
luvnquilt.... I don't know which foot pedel you have, but some of the older ones were made prior to the newer ceramics and stuff we have today. When current is applied (we're stepping on the thing) that power is used to run the machine. But if we're running the machine at less than 'fast' or our foot is resting on the pedel, but the machine is not moving.... then the power has to go somewhere else - it's converted to heat. That's what makes it hot. A lot of times, we sewers get a 'lazy foot'... and we sort of rest it on the pedal. You might find it helpful, to get in the habit of removing your foot completely from the pedal when you're not using the machine right then. Put foot on floor. Only put foot on the thing when you're actually going to sew.

I was told/shown this a while ago, and changed my own habits... it does help. Shur 'nuff! I forget where I saw it, one of the vintage parts places on the web.... had a .pdf about how to use the old Singer knobby foot controllers correctly. Informative to say the least!