Thread: Polycotton
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2011, 05:52 PM
Toni-in-Texas

I read a lot about quilting the "traditional" way. There seems to be some unwritten rules about what you have to use and how you have to do the sewing when you make a quilt, 100% cotton, certain thread count, cotton thread (usually more expensive) cotton batting, etc. At one time "real" quilts were only the ones that were hand quilted.

Now, don't get me wrong, I like to use 100% cotton fabric, too. But I also use good quality cotton-poly (60-40) fabrics because that's either what I already have from many years of sewing clothes or that's what I can afford at the time. Our ancestors made quilts with what they had. Sometimes they even made quilts with used clothing scraps. They pieced them by hand because they didn't have sewing. machines. They used cotton batting or wool because that's what they had.

Now we have quilting machines and fancy sewing machines, rotary cutters, mats and all the bling that go with the quilting. But we should still be able to use what we want to when we make our quilts. There shouldn't be any quilt police to tell us what to do. That seems to take all the fun out of what we all love to do. Sorry I'm so long-winded, but I saw a young woman completely lose hope in ever making a quilt because of the criticism of a family member and the ladies in my group were unable to repair the damage that criticism did.