Old 07-15-2011, 06:26 AM
boysmomoflabs

Yours do look similar! I chose not to do a full strip as I wanted to preserve the age. The second one I have yet to do, if it doesn't come off...it doesn't come of. I don't want to look like I did when I was a teenager and I can't imagine anything else my age would either.

So....everyone remember this is a learning experience and if it doesn't come out perfect...so what! You've tried, you've enjoyed and you've learned. HAVE FUN with it!!!

Take the cabinets apart. They are made wonderfully and very easy to do. For the common treadle cabinet, there are 4 large screws holding the cast iron base to the top. Once these are removed you'll need to take out the 8 screws (2 on each) hook holding the base against the drawers. The top should lift off at that point.
Set the top aside, spray liberally the cast iron base with Liquid Wrench (yellow can) let set (out of direct sun) for 1/2 or so. Use a soft bristle brush and go over the whole base. Pour water over it to remove loose bits and wipe the whole thing (every little bit) dry with a cloth. That cloth will be filthy when you're done. At this stage, if it looks good, pat yourself on the back, if you feel it needs more. Repeat process. Do not let pets walk thru the mess on the ground. Figure out a way to protect the area you are working on.
continued