View Single Post
Old 07-15-2011, 07:32 AM
qbquilts

Originally Posted by Shelley
As many of you know, quilts rarely make what they should when give to auctions. Here are a couple of ways we have found to make closer to their value for good causes.

1) Raffle, don't auction, the quilt. Around here, people will part with $1 or $5 for a chance to win a quilt, but won't pay $500 at an auction.

2) This is a new one. Our community had a fund raiser for a woman with cancer. Our guild donated a quilt. It had 60 white cornerstones between the blocks. Each of those was sold for $10, and people wrote messages and/or their names in the blocks. The quilt was give to the woman to have with her in the hospital while she's having treatments, and it raised some money to help with expenses.

Hope these ideas help with your fund raising activities.
A quilt camp I go to has used both ways to raise money. One year they requested campers to donate a block (I want to say block & colors were specified - I know it was for cancer, but don't remember). Someone put them together and by the end of the camp we all had to opportunity to sign it in honor or in memory of someone special to use. Each name was a $1.00. Then, once the quilt was completed, they raffled off the quilt.

Most recently, they invited campers to send a fall colored 9-patch and then had groups associated with the camp facility sell raffle tickets. The raffle was held during the last camp. They raised (if I remember correctly) over $700 for the camp.