View Single Post
Old 07-15-2011, 09:09 AM
ghostrider

Originally Posted by Tex
In 1960, many women who lived the 1960's Hippie Lifestyle would go to fabric stores and purchase baskets that were full of leftover and pieces of fabric. These pieces of fabric were not always compatible with one another. However, these women who made quilts using these fabric pieces just seemed to pick up one after another without paying attention to design or color or hue, etc. Does anyone happen to have such a quilt from the 1960's or know more about them? Tex
The quilts you describe are now called scrap quilts. They have always been, and will always be, made with the materials on hand at the time of their making. In the 60's and 70's, that material was primarily synthetic so that's what the quilts were. It has nothing to do with hippies or hippie culture. I don't know where you got your information, but it does not ring true at all in my experience.

As a card carrying Hippie (that'd be my AARP card), I can assure you that quilting during that period was the furthest thing from my mind. I made quilts both before and after the years I spent living what you call "the hippie lifestyle", but certainly not during and I'd be willing to bet those women you speak of who "just seemed to pick up one (piece of fabric) after another without paying attention to design or color or hue" were merely experiencing an alternative state of consciousness and had no intention of sewing them together.