View Single Post
Old 07-15-2011, 10:13 AM
PJane1031

Hey, All!!

BRAND new to the Board--referred by a friend. I'm in the process of starting a quilt for a friend, and would welcome ANY advice you can offer!!

She purchased a quilt kit for a pattern called "Summertime" at a shop in the Netherlands several years ago, and asked me to complete it for her. One hiccup--the instructions were written in Dutch!! No big deal, I contacted the store that she bought it from--they didn't have an English translation, but did have the instructions in German, and while not 'fluent' I grew up in a household that spoke it a little, so was more comfortable trying to translate instructions from there.

I also decided to invest in a metric quilting ruler so that I wouldn't need to try to convert the sizes into inches, so that will be a fun challenge, too!

That being said, I'm stuck on one part, and not sure if seam allowances are included in my cutting instructions, or if I need to add more fabric. In the 'Overview' section, it talks about 8 cm squares & 4 cm squares, and strips of 2x8 cm. THEN, it goes on to say: "All measurements are without seam allowance (0.75 cm seam allowance on each side this type)" So I'm confused. Does that mean I need to ADD 1.5 cm to all of my measurements, or is the 8cm squares unfinished?

Any/all advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!

TIA!

Pam