Old 07-15-2011, 11:52 AM
madamekelly

Originally Posted by Just-Lee
Sorry for the yelling, but I am just sooo discouraged!! I have watched a blue million videos, but still manage to screw things up. How do you figure what your seam allowance should be for binding? I didn't realize you had to do this, as I thought everything was 1/4"...not that my 1/4" is great.

What size of strip do you use when making binding? What allowance do you use when machine sewing? GAHHHHHHH!!!! I feel like Charlie Brown when he lands on his back from missing the football kick! :-/
I felt exactly the same way, until I learned how to make and use bias binding. I cut it 2 and 1/2 inches wide, then press (not iron) the piece carefully in half lengthwise. I then apply it from the front (1/4 inch seam), trim batting and backing, and roll it over to the back and hand stitch it to the back. Lots of people tell me I don't need to do bias binding, and that I can machine sew it down, but I can't get it flat and smooth if I don't. Just like the rest of us, you will find what works best for you. Make a few potholders to practice on, and you will find your method.