View Single Post
Old 07-15-2011, 03:43 PM
grandme26

Originally Posted by mtspools
I remember ration stamps had to have them to get sugar and coffee,think there was other things too but was very young. I also remember margarine(oleo) where you got pound of white stuff that looked like pound of lard and mixed pack of yellow stuff to make it yellow to look like butter.Oh yes remember the polio shots too, my bro passed out while standing in line.He was ok just week stomach.
I turned 70 this year and remember helping my mother massaging the yellow liquid into the white stuff. Also remember ration stamps. My grandfather, he lived in IL and we lived in Ohio, would send us his gass ration stamps so we could come visit. He was a doctor and received more than what he needed. Remember walking across the street from houses that were quarantined because of Polio. Received mine from my pediatrician before they were given at school. When I started to drive gas was well under 20 cents/gal. and you did not have to pump your own gass. Someone would come to the car and wash your windows, check your oil and the air in your tires while the car was being filled up. Grew up without AC, TV when I was 7 but when I was 10 we moved to Colorado Springs and they did not have TV at the time. Computers, video games, what were they? Okay I am aging myself now but life seemed so much simpler and easy going than live now. But I will not give up my AC!!!!!