Old 05-17-2009, 06:47 PM
msmarbear

Hi y'all!

I have been quilting a few months using my brother ls 1217 (el-cheapo) machine. It's fine for straight stiches or zigzag, but I am really into the stippling. I bought the correct foot, but getting the correct thread tension is just so iffy. Sometimes it is perfect, other times HUGE loops. I am good friends with the seam ripper. Anyway, I've had this machine for 7 years and my hubby wants to buy me a new one for my upcoming birthday. My budget is $500. Can anyone help me find a good one for JUST QUILTING? I do not want to sew garments and I don't really care about embroidery. I want something that is gonna be reliable, not have thread tension issues, and can do free motion quilting. I also want a wide throat so I can do bed sized quilts. I'm not that technical (but hubby is) so I don't have to have a computerized type machine, but I am willing to learn how if that is what it takes.

Anyway, I appreciate you reading this. I have REALLY fallen in love with quilting. I start other projects and complete some of them, but I can turn out a baby quilt in 1 afternoon...I just LOVE making a quilt. The other stuff...not so much :)