View Single Post
Old 11-10-2007, 10:01 PM
k_jupiter

Originally Posted by ShellyQ
Tim, I was wondering if you could offer me some advice re this subject. I have on occasion wanted to share something on the board here. I design a lot of my own patterns and some times come across some thing similar later on. It's bound to happen, there are that many quilters out there and there only so many ways you condivide up a shape :lol: . What is the copy right situation then? It makes me nervous about sharing my patterns here as I don't wish to break any rules. Anyone else have any thoughts on this too?
Shelly....

1.) I would not lose any sleep over breaking any rules if you did design this yourself. The chances of someone coming after you for copy write violations is very small, and the proof is on them.

2.) I have had a number of conversations with Patrice on this very subject. I am sure she can give you some advice about posting original work on the board.

3.) Remember a lot of quilt blocks are public domain. They were designed many years ago, many have had the copy write expire, many are what are called "traditional" patterns that have no copy write associated to them. Kinda like you never need to pay royalties for singing "Amazing Grace" on the radio. Nobody owns that song.

tim in san jose