View Single Post
Old 07-16-2011, 04:53 AM
Wonnie

Originally Posted by LaurieE
No sewing machine is made in its home country any more. Viking and Bernina are made in Thailand with one Bernina model made in China. Singer is made in Brazil and China, Janome is made in both Thailand and Taiwan. Not sure about Pfaff. Chances are it's also in Thailand.

In regards to the SVP merger. That happened back in the beginning of 2010 and that's when Singer, Viking & Pfaff became 1 company. As far as I'm concerned, that's no different than K-Mart buying Sears and each keeping their brand names.
This is true. For years used a FW and loved it....just did simple straight-line sewing and it suited me. A couple of years ago came into a little money and decided to upgrade. I researched, talked to others about their machines, etc., etc., etc. and decided I would go with Baby Locke. The only problem was the dealers were all between 50 and 75 miles (one way) away. Spoke several times with one of them and the machine I was interested in came on sale and I purchased it...a Babylock Quilters Choice....Got a basic manual with it but had to purchase the "good" manual for something like $35.00 extra and when I first found out it was even available "my" dealer wouldn't order it for me and I had to find someone else who would. That's when I found out a few things like....2 people can purchase the same machine from a dealer and one might have been made in one country and the other in another making it impossible to send it back to where it actually came from.... customer service is poor...the company takes no responsiblity, that's why when you purchase from a dealer you're expected to go to them for all your problems. When I said I wanted to change dealers was told I couldn't. Was told I could buy another machine from another dealer and they would take care of all my needs OR I could trade in the current Baby Lock and the new dealer could then sell me another one and THEN they could take care of my needs but the first one I bought would forever have to be dealt with through through the dealer I purchased it from. Needless to say if I have a problem (which I haven't) I have to drive roughly 150 miles round trip and again if I have to leave it.