View Single Post
Old 07-16-2011, 05:59 AM
Charlee

William and I used to drive truck as a team, and I LOVED it when we got to "Amish Country"!! As was said before, Ohio, Pennsylvania, etc. There were quilts for sale in every little store/resturant that we stopped in...I loved the fall, when we could drive by and see the men working in the fields, it looked like a picture from the past...and the bakeries!! Oh my!! We stopped at one that was not at all modern! Wood stoves and ovens, kerosene lamps for lighting, candle sconces on the walls...
One of my favorite memories tho, had nothing to do with quilts or food... heading to our destination, we had to go around a corner and as we approached it, saw "mama" on her knees working a flower bed. We could see "papa" in the back yard working on something beside a shed, and here came two little girls, about 3 and 5 years old, long dresses, bonnets, little boots, running as fast as they could pumping their little arms like mad! William reached up and hit the air horn for them, and they jumped up and down, hugged each other and danced in circles, they were so happy about it and pleased with themselves! I still smile to this day thinking about it! :)