View Single Post
Old 07-16-2011, 06:32 AM
cattailsquilts

I just found the 'first quilts' post with a NYB quilt in there, that I am assuming is what sparked this post.

I started with a moderately easy, but not 9-patch-simple block, it's a variation on a woven ribbons, I suppose. I still don't do things like NYB's, but I want to someday!

I think the big thing to remember is that just because a person is a new quilter, doesn't necessarily mean they are not an accomplished seamstress/tailor. Yes, garment making is very different from quilt making, but if a person is already able to make complicated multi-piece garments, there's no reason why they couldn't start with a more complicated quilt pattern, if they feel up to it.

I've been sewing since I was 7, almost 30 years now, but only quilting for 11. I started because I worked at a fabric store & would help quilters with their purchases: cutting, helping them with their color palettes, things like that. I thought that I might enjoy creating one of these beauties myself, so bought a book & some fabric, and haven't looked back since. :-)