View Single Post
Old 07-16-2011, 04:17 PM
desertrose

Originally Posted by sparkys_mom
Originally Posted by bvillequilter
Hi All,
I really enjoy hearing from other quilters about their favorite make and model sewing machine for quiltmaking. I just sold my Bernina 820 machine. Although it is a fabulous machine for general sewing, including heirloom, garment, etc. I personally felt it was not the perfect choice for quilters. It does have a hugh harp which would entice you to think it answers all of us quilters' demands, but even the BSR works better on the 430/440, 630/640, 200/730 machines. I am currently using my Berina 230 machine which I absolutely love, but I don't feel it is suited to be a primary machine.

In addition to Bernina owners, I would love to hear from Janome, Pffaff and Viking owners.

In stitches,
Roberta in CNY
I'm really interested in this subject! I made my first quilt 2+ years ago. On the advice of my LQS I purchased a Brother 6000i - light and cheap and does the job. Mostly, I do charity quilts and stitch in the ditch to finish them. I've rented the long arm for other projects or had it done by someone else. I'm ready to upgrade! First, why is everyone so cagey about pricing? I do not have space or budget for a LA but I would definitely like to do free motion on my own machine - not practical on my little Brother - but I don't want to pay for features I won't use. I also don't want to skimp and then find out I could have paid a little more and gotten important features. What do you DSM users think are the most important features?
Pat, I also have a Brother and love it for every thing except machine quilting becasue of the narrow throat size. It's not conducive to anything larger than an 36 X 45 baby quilt. I'm getting an older Kemore from a friend with a wide throat, plenty of decorative stitches if I choose to machine quilt with an embroidery stitch to make the charity quilts a little special. A LA is definately not a finaancial option for me so this will be the most suitable optio for me. happy Quilting whatever you choose. :-D :-D :-D