View Single Post
Old 07-17-2011, 01:52 AM
Lobster

Hello everyone, long time no see! I am in the throes of binding a baby quilt I made for my cousin, and fretting about how I am going to wash it.

The blocks were made mostly from a batik jelly roll, unwashed, with a few batiks (prewashed) from my stash, and the colours range from light to dark, in shades of blues and greens. The sashing is a very pale green soft sponge effect, prewashed.

I marked up the quilt using chalk pencil (mostly rubbed off by now), that overpriced blue turquoise washable pen they market for quilters, and since turquoise pen shows up abysmally on a largely turquoise quilt, I ended up using Crayola washable markers.

The batting is Quilters Dream Poly Request, and the backing is a nice strong turquoise, standard quilting cotton.

I know that I should soak it in cold water before I put it in the machine, but I'm worried about the colours running. If I were to use a colour catcher or what have you, I don't know if it would cause problems with washing out the marker lines, some kind of odd chemical reaction. Any suggestions?

I'm in the UK, so I can't get hold of American products and probably won't recognise your brand names either. I'm also vegan and do not use any washing products which have been tested on animals, plus this will be a baby quilt so I don't want dodgy chemicals in there.