Old 07-17-2011, 02:27 AM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lee231
miriam

I had one do the same thing, not a 241. Found out that the point of the hook had a slight burr on it, you could only feel it with you finger nail as you move you finger from the back toward the point. When it hung up, it would pull the top thread real fast and make a rats nest in the bobbin area. I took some wore out 400 grit emery paper and removed the burr and it works good now. One thing that will indicate a burr is marks on the foot needle hole like a bent needle may have hit the hook. Here's is a link for a service manual.

http://parts.singerco.com/IPinstManuals/241.pdf
Thanks. I'll be looking at that shuttle sometime later today. Yesterday, I thought maybe it was still gunk so I cleaned up more gunk - it does look better. Now I think you are right it could be a burr. I'm still wondering about the tension being off. If the tension is not set right or the machine isn't threaded right, it might not have enough slack to go all the way around. BTW I have the ORIGINAL manual. This machine is practically new I think someone had it in their basement for YEARS... Maybe had a little decorating business and quit. You would not believe the condition - well other than all that dried up oil. The two puzzles are the tension spring seems backwards - the manual shows it threaded the way it should go but if you do that it doesn't work. I threaded it over the top of the tension, around and up, crossing the thread and on to the take up lever... It was the only way to activate the spring into the threading. I think I need to change out the spring. The other concern is the shuttle. I'm wondering if the two are a connected problem. That machine might be huge and heavy but it sure does turn easy. I suppose I should post a picture of it on here so you get an idea about that tension threading.