Thread: GRRRRRRRRRR!!
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2011, 05:29 AM
Mattee

Well said! I'm with you, froggyintexas, and the others who think that this is a necessary part of yours, and really everyone's, education.

Before becoming a SAHM, I was a chemistry professor, and I taught the pre-req that students needed to get into nursing school. Many students don't see the need for that type of class, but it is necessary to even truly understand what you read in the newspaper. A great example: global warming. Now, if you watch one news channel, you might think that global warming is a left-wing conspiracy concocted to bankrupt US businesses. If you watch another news channel, you see global warming as a scientific fact that threatens our very existence. Who do you believe? If you have a good basic scientific education, you read information from scientific (not news) sources, and you make up your own mind.

Another example: some people who have run for president and vice president of the US feel that intelligent design needs to be taught in schools. Some people say that ID is religion, others say that it's science. If you've had a good quality biology course, you can judge for yourself. If you haven't, you're left taking another's word for it. Having an opinion on ID can end up informing who you vote for for President. Will it help you be a vet tech? Well, actually, yes. Will it help you be a well-informed, voting citizen who can also raise thoughtful children, and contribute in a positive manner to the world around you, absolutely!

It's good to vent, but step back, and try to get some perspective. I, too, will be happy to answer a PM if you have any content-related questions.

Originally Posted by noveltyjunkie
I am going to disagree. I took lots of courses over the years that seemed irrelevant at the time, but as life happens, more and more of it IS useful (especially the chemistry, oddly enough)

I think EVERYONE needs to knwo the basics of science, and economics, and civics, and geography, and history.....

Education is not just about your job- it is about learning to think and reason.