Thread: In Honor of Mom
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2011, 09:13 AM
PatQuilts

My mom will be 90 in October of this year. I'm finally taking time to photograph and label the quilts she made and hasn't given away over the years.

The first two photos show her very first quilt made in the midst of the Great Depression. As a young girl on Sunday evenings, she would walk the two miles to her Sunday School teacher's home. All the girls in her class would be provided fabric to hand sew one block. Mom's mother then helped her add a sash between the blocks and the border with the grandma's treadle machine. They then handquilted it together. When I pulled it out to photograph it, I noticed the blocks are not all the same size. They had to do some finessing with the sashing to make the blocks fit together but this just makes it more precious to me know this was mom's first quilt. My grandmother passed before I was born which makes it even more of a treasure.

The remaining photos show the last quilt mom was able to work on at age 87--just before dementia made it impossible for her to continue the activity that she has loved doing for over 70 years. The pattern is an album quilt that we had long ago decided would be donated to church for a fundraising bazaar. You may be wondering how I could give this last quilt away? I have kept my favorites and I know the quilts she donate to the church have always been purchased by people who know her and treasure having a keepsake of her and her work.

Mom's First Quilt - Age 13 (1934)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]227735[/ATTACH]

Block Closup
[ATTACH=CONFIG]227736[/ATTACH]

Her Last Quilt - Age 87 (2008)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]227737[/ATTACH]

Closup of a block
[ATTACH=CONFIG]227738[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-227729.jpe   attachment-227730.jpe   attachment-227731.jpe   attachment-227732.jpe