View Single Post
Old 07-17-2011, 09:54 AM
ladyinpurple135

Originally Posted by quiltlady1941
can you use serger thread to sew your quilt and would it be ok to quilt the quilt with the serger thread?

Thank you :)
OK, confession time -- a few years ago I would have said absolutely no, no, no - cotton thread is the only way to go for everything quilty. But I have had a complete turn-around about thread. Many famous-name quilters are using a good-quality poly thread and I plan on making a change when I get through with what I'm using now. I'm still not sold on the serger thread though - for me. Even when using non-quilt shop fabrics (like JoAnn's) I still prefer using something "not the cheapest" in thread. Withn the cost of anything made of cotton, I would not be surprised if lots of quilters opt for a change away from 100% cotton. Bob Purcell from Superior Thread is really knowledgeable about thread and he says that all the "bad facts" we've heard for years about poly thread simply are not true.

Thank you everyone about your experience using serger thread. I am sure that there is "quality" and "not-so-good quality" in serger threads, too. My eyes have been opened.

Sandy in Mooresville, NC