View Single Post
Old 07-17-2011, 11:37 AM
Sletch

Being the” genealogy buff” that I am, I have taken the info and photos that I have collected for my grandmother’s family and made a heritage quilt. Although I have hand quilted in the past, this is my first machine-quilted project (my “practice quilt”). I have discovered that for me sewing straight lines and quarter-inch seams are not without some effort (seam rippers . . . hallelujah!). Making half-square triangles . . . another story. This is my design, however, and I have worked on it for several months now, photos being another challenge since many were old, faded, and small. I have all the photos (18) and nine-patch squares completed and sewn together so the first, middle, and last row of photos have been sewn together and are presentable. Well, most of the squares fit together; I can live with them!

Question 1: A, B, and C are the fabrics (placed so you can see better images—not part of quilt) I used so you can see how the design goes together using these fabrics. I want to incorporate the two written strips in the quilt. They would be 36 inches across and have the writing that you see. My dilemma . . . my first thoughts were to print them but printing 36-inch banners are a challenge. My next thought . . . embroidery, which would make the quilt look more finished, I think. My question . . . can anyone on the Board do this or know of someone who could embroider these strips for me at a reasonable price. I know there are embroidery experts out there. I can hand embroider but believe machine embroidery would look more finished. Your thoughts on this.

Question 2: The triangle diamond blocks are made from fabric A and B. The contrast between the two fabrics is more defined on the computer than finished product. Photo 2 shows some finished blocks. What do you think? I think the cream fabric as diamond shape center would not quite right. Is there enough contrast?

My thanks to all the quilting experts on the Board. I have picked up so many tips and learned so many things from you . . . you are such a supportive expert group of ladies and gents.

Quilt Design
[ATTACH=CONFIG]227821[/ATTACH]

Finished Blocks and Fabric
[ATTACH=CONFIG]227822[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-227815.jpe   attachment-227816.jpe