Old 07-17-2011, 05:59 PM
kwendt

Originally Posted by emmah
Originally Posted by MrsBoats
This has a back-clamping foot. Where can I find a side-clamping presser bar to replace it with?

This one also appears to have a brake. Is the treadle belt threaded any differently? I thought I remembered seeing something about keeping the end snip of your belt to use in it, but of course, now I can't find the article. I'm working on a manual, but haven't found one yet.
I don't think the loop thing is a brake, but a quick way of taking the belt off the flywheel. The little flange looks like it was an afterthought, maybe the way the machine lined up with the wheel made the belt slip, so they added that little bit, looks welded on.
I'm fairly new to treadles, but I have the same irons as you for my singer 15-30. As MizJohnny also noted, that's the way you quickly disengage the treadle belt (off the flywheel), so that you can lower the machine head into the cabinet to store it. I also use it to re-engage the belt back onto the wheel, once I have the machine up and ready again. There should be a coiled metal spring on it too (I think I see it in your photo). Also note that the belt rides through that metal loop when you install the new belt (otherwise, it won't work at all). Forgive me if that was obvious, but I'll just say here that... um... it WASN'T obvious to me immediately! :D (and right now Char and MizJ are laughing, I hope!) I know I am!

I don't know if anyone answered your other question, about finding a side clamping pressure bar for your 66-1. Check Sew-classic website for more info. (I am not affiliated) or ask Billy here if he has parts. Some people just find a 'donor' machine... but you can get the replacement bar off of ebay, sew-classic, Billy and other websites. I understand that they are not hard to find.

Personally? I think your 'find' is great. I have a 'less than perfect' treadle top that I'm attempting to restore, and a parlor that I'll get to restoring here someday. I love to save the old things, and appreciate all the fine folks on this thread that are doing so also!