Old 07-17-2011, 09:17 PM
MsEithne

Originally Posted by thrums
I agree with the previous post.

Big "Bargain" stores have downgraded the art of quilting by selling low quality quilts made in third world countries where the "quilter" receives relatively nothing for the work.

I have found the same is true with US handmade baskets out of quality wood.
This has been a recognised problem since the 60s... the 1860s, that is! John Ruskin and William Morris started the Arts and Crafts Movement in reaction to the mass production of mediocre goods brought about by the Industrial Revolution.

The problem, then as now, was not in convincing rich people to buy high quality goods. That is never a problem in any age. The problem is in how less than rich people can afford to add beauty to their own homes. Then, as now, the most common solution was mediocre quality goods that were affordable for their intended buyers. Trying to convince people to buy fewer, higher quality goods was not successful then and it's not looking successful now, either. Most people seem to choose quantity over quality.

I think part of the solution for quilters who are considering making charitable donations for auctions or raffles is to ask some questions first. Has the charitable cause done their homework so that they can answer obvious questions like "how much will the average person approached by this charity be willing or able to spend?" Does this charity's fundraising plan match the ability of their intended population of donors? What is this organisation's previous track record in raising money?

If you know that the average donation is less than $20, that can help you make a decision as to what to donate. If you decide to donate an item that has $60 worth of materials in it, then you're doing so in an informed manner. And if you decide to do so and your item brings $30, that's actually a compliment!