View Single Post
Old 07-18-2011, 02:39 AM
Lobster

I appreciate your point, but the mothers won't be too impressed if I give them a quilt that looks a complete mess, and it's a terribly unprofessional thing to do. I want to be able to photograph it and add it to my portfolio, it's actually a very nicely made quilt and the first I've done with Welsh quilting, and I don't want it to be wrecked by fabric bleeding before it leaves me, if I can possibly prevent it. It's not intended to be a rag that falls apart within a few months, and while the baby is still young, I'm expecting the mothers to appreciate looking at it. After all, with my other baby quilts it's the parents who have been saying how much they're enjoying having it around, the babies are still too young to comment!

Anyway, let's see what Crayola says. The markers I used are fine line ones, I think they're called Draw-Write Washable Markers, and I have never seen them anywhere else, including the Crayola website. No instructions on that packet. The other Crayola markers I have are the regular washable ones, and they say the following in tiny lettering:

Washes off only machine washable clothing in their normal wash cycle. Do not pre-wash or use chlorine bleach. Not washable from other surfaces.

I have absolutely no idea what that last bit means. I don't even own chlorine bleach, and while I do own oxygen bleach powder, I wasn't thinking of using that. With regard to pre-washing, is there any reason why a pre-soak would do any harm? Because that's how you're meant to get out the turquoise quilt marker. I'm also still unsure as to whether the colour catchers could interfere in any way.

I know there are a lot of people on this forum who use Crayola markers, and even more who use colour catchers. Has anyone used a colour catcher on a quilt marked with a Crayola washable marker?