Old 07-18-2011, 09:52 AM
MissyGirl

I wanted to forward to you guys something that the RN that runs the lap band support group I am on:

//What level of calories are we supposed to stay under? No one has really said yet// That depends on your gender, how tall you are, how heavy you were to begin with, and what's your goal. For most women 1200 calories is a good level. Although while you're still heavy you might be able to eat a bit more. If you're real short 1000 might be enough. I almost never recommend less than 1000 calories a day. Men and people who are very active can eat more.

Here's the deal:

IF YOU ARE NOT LOSING WEIGHT YOU ARE EATING TOO MANY CALORIES.

So eat 1500 calories and see if you can lose 1 or 2 pounds a week on that. If not losing drop to 1200. If losing 3 or 4 pounds a week maybe you could eat a little bit more.

I found a note I wrote (from Terry Simpson, MD I think). It says, when people are not losing weight ask:

"What is the thing you do not want to give up?"

Personally, I always said I was willing to give up anything to lose weight. Then I had to prove it.

I really like being able to get full on a small amount. I never try to see how much I can eat. I know I can eat more than I should. I try to see how little I can get by on.

It's just a different mindset.

I'm glad I don't have to eat a bunch of food to feel satisfied. I have so many other sources of satisfaction in my life now.

Another thought: The reason lettuce doesn't have many calories is because there's no nutrition in there. It's mostly water. I can find more nutritious things to eat.

Besides, as the designated fat girl, I spent way too many years ordering salad (the fat girl should eat salad, right?) and paying $30 for a bowl of lettuce instead of ordering what I really wanted.

Interesting, huh? I really like the part about getting by with eating as little instead of eating until I am full. And like Jessie said above: It is just a different mindset. I think this whole diet thing is all about our mind and how we think about food, exercise and behavior.

Hmmm...interesting!

Missy