View Single Post
Old 07-18-2011, 03:30 PM
AFQSinc

Originally Posted by emsgranny
I think this quilt is ugly but it has such meaning for me.

So does anyone else have a such a quilt???
This was the first quilt I made. It was a Martha Stewart project from her old show using mens' tweed jackets. I didn't have wool tweed jackets so I bought some wool yardage from Hancock Fabrics (my mom was working there at the time). I decided halfway through that I would give it to my Dad. Even though we lived in Southern California he was always cold.

I backed it with a heavy gold corduroy and used warm and natural batting. I made the sandwich and then stitched around and pulled through. No topstiching, no binding, no quilting. It isn't even tied! It is heavy and warm.

My Dad loved it. He had coronary artery disease and empysema. He used that blanket on his lap every day from the time I gave it to him til the day he died. He had it on when he passed away in his sleep sitting in his chair watching baseball. My Mom gave it to me and I was so happy. It is in my son's room now. When he has bad dreams or is upset or hurt we sit in the rocking chair and I wrap it around him. I think it makes both of us feel better.

Great topic!

I wish the colors were this bright in real life. :)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]228591[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-228585.jpe