View Single Post
Old 07-18-2011, 07:30 PM
DogHouseMom

I enjoy listening to books (as well as reading) and I recently started listening to the classics ... Dickens & Christie to name two recent authors. So much better hearing them than reading them. If you pick up an English book to read, one of my favorite narrators is Simon Vance.

I also love listening and reading books by author MC Beaton. She has two series, Hamish McBeth (Scot), and Agatha Raisin (English). Hamish is a small town Police Constable, and Agatha is a retired PR agent now running a detective agency. They're both funny, and quick reads.

For a more serious mystery try PD James and her Adam Dalgliesh series. He's a Chief Detective in London and works on "high profile" crimes.

If the English language interests you as well, listen to "An Adventure in English" as it chronicles the evolution of the English language from Celt through today, and even covers other English speaking countries. Origins of many of the words we use today, and how they changed over the years. Reading it won't do it justice as you wouldn't get the inflections of the vowel changes that were made, you have to hear him speak the differences.