View Single Post
Old 07-18-2011, 07:42 PM
cathyvv

taught me how to hand sew. Last time she was out, she and her brother each made a 4 square quilt, and were quite pleased with themselves. At that time, my niece told me she wanted to learn to hand sew. Unfortunately, I can't/don't hand sew, so I let her know that hand sewing wasn't something I could teach her. I wasn't good at it when I could do it, but now, with the fibromyalgia, I simply can't.

She misunderstood 'can't' to mean 'don't know how'. This visit, she found a 'regular' sewing needle, threaded it and asked me how to knot it so it wouldn't slip off the needle. Then she proceeded to direct me to get a practice scrap of cloth, fold it 'pretty side to pretty side', and showed me how to push the needle through the fabric. So now, at 62 years old, I finally know how to hand sew!

This is definitely one of the good memories that I will carry with me for the rest of my life. I loved that she took the initiative to remedy my lack of skill, and how well she organized my lesson. God willing, she will accomplish wonderful things in her life. She's off to a good start!