Old 07-19-2011, 08:22 AM
Barb44

I haven't read all of the posts here so I may be repeating advice but these are my suggestions for a new quilter.

1) Start with a small project like a wallhanging, a throw, a table runner, or placemats. Do a simple 9 patch to practice your cutting, 1/4 inch seams and matching the corners.

2) Watch some of Eleanor Burns videos to learn her methods of strip piecing and assembly line sewing. I think her website is quiltinaday.com. You can watch her videos for free. You can make 9 patch blocks really quickly and accurately with her methods.

3) Get a 1/4 inch foot. You can get one from Singer or any place that sells sewing machine parts. I quilted for years without one and thought my seams were good. Then I got one and found out how off my seams were.

Classes at quilt shops are nice, but you have to buy their pattern and fabric and it is too expensive for me.

Regarding sewing machines, knowing what I know now I would never get a new machine. I would get an older Singer. They have larger throats for machine quilting and are metal machines and much better made.

If you have any sewing experience, you can make a quilt. Happy quilting!