Old 07-19-2011, 12:20 PM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jtapp9
Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
I lied. I've fallen and I can't shut up. I have been told by Reliable Folks that the same motor won't fit in a 400 series AND 500 series. Billy?

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by jtapp9
I have a 503a thats missing a few parts, including the bobbin winder. That is missing becasue previous owner changed motors and new motor isn't made for bobbin winders.

Will this motor work? Is the extended top part the difference in the motors? Is that a decent price?(for those of you work on electrics)

http://cgi.ebay.com/SINGER-SEWING-MA...item2c5dcced91

I watched her swap out another motor so I am thinking of repairing this 503a. It needs the different motor, the bobbin winder, and the top lid (which has all the instructions for the cams). I have a full set of cams and my daughter was playing with it yesterday and man did it have a beautiful stitch! The tension needs adjusted but it was still awesome. I'm thinking of repairing it and gifting it to her if she wants it....and if not then I'll sell it and say I got the experience of working on one...lol. She seemed interested at the moment, but she's 23 and sews rather sporadically :). She actually has a D9P started right now that she is doing totally on her own.

My 500a just arrived at Billy's and I'm so excited about getting it repaired!
The motor looks right but it is hard to say from that picture. I wonder if the motor the lady put in your machine was from a Touch 'N Sew. They fit but they are not the same gear top. Can you find the lady again and swap back? Take the messed up motor in to a shop and they can clean it up. You do need one with the gear thing sticking up so the bobbin will wind - I believe I would ask the place you are looking at buying from what it was out of. Too bad you didn't change the 500 and the 503 motors out before you sent the 500 to Billy - maybe he could have swapped it out for something that would do the job. The 20 something kids love those Rocketeer machines. I gave one to my DIL and she loves it - what's not to?
I'm thinking you might be right. I'm thinking he top end is different. But I do know for sure the Touch and Sew is different. I should go open a couple up and look.

Ok I looked - they are NOT the same. The 401 is wider than the 500 at the top.

Forgive me if I sound stupid but what do you mean wider at the top? Where at the top? I know the original motor for the 503 should have that extra metal piece above the bushing(?). I know that is the bobbin winder part. The replacement motor that is in mine right now does NOT have that part, that is why the bobbin winder is missing.

No I can't get the original motor from the last owner :(. To her it was no issue. She preferred the straight stich only machines and owns an alterations shop with SEVERAL and didn't "need' that bobbin winder so told her repair man that motor was fine. I am one of the weird ones that does NOT like a machine to be missing parts....thats just me. I went ahead and bought it from her because it was cheap and it does sew great! :). I can't help myself but I'll probably never be able to bond with it if I don't replace the motor/bobbin winder and top lid....
The gear looking thing goes on top. It is built in. You either have a motor that fits or you do not have a motor that fits. I like mine to have all the right parts too. I think I would be very irritated with that woman. Glad it was cheap though. The gear no doubt turns just under the bobbin winder if it is the wrong motor. The 503's top gear thing is smaller around than the others.