Old 07-19-2011, 04:52 PM
MissyGirl

I posted a question to the members of my support group for the lap band about how to slow down when I eat. I eat like I will never see food again. I know that when I eat like that food gets stuck in my band. That is painful and ends in me throwing it back up. I do not want to do that anymore. Thus, me asking the question.

This is one person's response (I think it is packed full of wisdom):

"Big problem for me too! Some ideas: get a timer and make sure that you go 30 or more seconds between swallowing and your next bite, taste your food....I mean REALLY taste it. Feel the texture(s) on your tongue, get every last bit of flavor before you swallow, taste that food as if it were your last meal!

Another idea - when the food is in front of you say a prayer of thanks for your food and your band before taking that first bite. Reaffirm your commitment to yourself to get a healthy-sized body. And always remember that your food is there for you to enjoy at your leisure. If the band is being fickle and you can't eat now, wrap it up and anticipate enjoying it later; it will always be there."

I know that you guys don't have the band but it holds a lot of truth about slowing down. I think that the timer thing is excellent advice. It takes us 20 mins to feel full. So, I am going to set my timer for 20 minutes and try my hardest to make my meal last that long.

What do you guys do to slow down while you eat?

Missy (I am trying to redirect my thoughts from my sad situation with my daughter...)