View Single Post
Old 07-19-2011, 07:46 PM
Sewing_Hubby

I have a 1942 Singer Treadle that I use all the time. It is fun, works great, and looks beautiful. This past winter I sent it in for a cleaning and tune up. The machine is almost perfect, and the cabinet is an 8 out of 10. It is a bit noisy from all the movement of parts. It seems like it will last for many years.

I was in Bird-in-hand PA this past week, looking to have a new treadle cabinet built. I have a favorite cabinet maker there who will make me a quarter sawn oak cabinet stained in walnut with hardware for the treadle, $775. His shop is "Hilltop Cabinets" in Bird-in-hand, Pa. He does fantastic work.

I am buying a new Janome treadle to put in the new cabinet he is building. I will then have the old singer, and the new Janome, both of which I will treasure for many years.

I know that you can buy old treadles, and they are nice. Don't be talked out of the new Janomes though. They are very nice too. I know several folks that use them almost daily, and they love them. I am looking forward to the new treadle and it's selection of stitches and the easier bobbin.

Enjoy your choice, what ever it is.

Happy quilting,

Steve