View Single Post
Old 07-19-2011, 10:55 PM
granny_59

Originally Posted by iowabelle
I think the price is set too high. Sometimes ebay sellers aren't very knowledgeable.

But I like it. She must have been a really good piecer. Can you imagine cutting out all those little pieces with scissors and even getting close to making the seams match and it not getting all puffy in the middle? I don't think I would have been so adventurous--I started one but didn't get it finished--just strip piecing.

I wonder if it really IS a Swiss quilt, or possibly it came from the U.S. somehow. The reason I wonder is I'm not sure the Swiss were into quilting back then. Part of my family is Swiss, and I think that accounts for the fact that even though they married into a family from West Virginia that I don't know of anyone in the family that has quilted in the past. (The Swiss girl would have been the one that married my g-g-grandfather and passed on her domestic skills to the next generation.)

The auction ended without a bit and I will keep an eye on it whether they will put it on again.
It only said 82 x 75", dated 1840 (?) and that it came from Todd county K.Y. USA