View Single Post
Old 05-20-2009, 12:17 PM
Shemjo

Oh how happy you are going to make some critter! What size are you looking for? I have 2, and 60 pound male and a 15 pound female. I prefer females because they are not as prone to lifting their legs to mark their territiory. The big male also is a husky type dog with lots of thick fur, that sheds in the warm weather. He actually needs to be clipped because his fur keeps him so warm here in the summer. The female is a rat terrier, who needs sweaters in the winter because her fur is so fine!
I had always had smaller dogs, because they eat less, thus mess less! The bigger dogs are more intimidating, and need more exercise! Tundra, the big dog, is very friendly, but LOUD, and scares people. Kids LOVE him. Susie is more timid. Both love to ride in the car. I can take them both with me when I visit some people, but have to board them when I go other places. When they are home, they have the run of the house. ! do have a fenced back yard, but Tundra can jump the fence, so he has to be inside or tethered when I am not home.
I would go to the pound and look, but it is hard to leave without one, so be prepared for that!
Bigger dogs are more difficult to walk, only because they are stronger.
Obedience training is a must, but so is consistency!
Mine are a mess, but I love them both. They get along well with the cats. They all give each other plenty of room. Playing can get rowdy, but whatcha gonna do!

Tundra likes to rearrange rugs!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]7983[/ATTACH]

Susie, with Tundras hair on the carpet!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]8060[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-7983.jpe   attachment-8060.jpe