Old 05-20-2009, 02:34 PM
hulahoop1

My aunt (only a year older than me) is in Montana and I am in Honolulu. She started quilting 3 years ago and I started a year later. She raved about all the classes she was taking and all the fabric stores in her area. I had always wanted to learn, but she gave me the push.

However, beginner classes are nonexistent here. I did take several that were project-oriented and were great fun. The instructor was surprised that half of us were total beginners and was extremely helpful and patient with our questions. There are 4-5 stores that carry a limited amount of traditional quilting fabric instead of the tropical stuff and 3 of them offer classes. Two of them hold classes only during the week.

With that, I have learned more on my own with books, videos, and the internet and my aunt, bless her! We do a lot of trading patterns and comparing notes mixed in with lots of laughter. This Quilting Forum has been a fountain of information and support, so bless you, too! Am I a lone quilter? Yes, but not really.