View Single Post
Old 07-20-2011, 05:23 PM
qbquilts

I have it. I'm actually going in tomorrow for my 6 month check-up. I was diagnosed several years ago. Are you being treated (or have you been checked) for insulin resistance? When I was first diagnosed (late 90's), the standard treatment was to treat the irregular periods and/or infertility. Since I didn't care to be on birth control and was not trying to get pregnant, I opted out of any treatment.

In the mid-2000's, I was sent to an endocrinologist for thyroid issues. He discussed the PCOS with me and tested me for insulin resistance. During the time between my diagnosis and that appointment, treatment standards changed from treating the "female symptoms" of PCOS and instead focused on the insulin resistance that is the cause of the imbalanced hormones that cause the "female symptoms" and other symptoms.

He put me on Metformin, but I am really bad about taking medicine every day (very strong gag reflex), so I don't always get the best relief/treatment that I should.

If you're not trying to get pregnant, then an endocrinologist instead of a RE should be fine. The place I go to is one of the top local diabetes places, which is great since the insulin resistance is the basis of Type II diabetes.