View Single Post
Old 07-20-2011, 06:07 PM
aliaslaceygreen

Originally Posted by susaninmd
An excellent source for children's book is from the PBS series "Reading Rainbow".

The show was hosted By LeVar Burton and ran for 26 years (ending in August 2009).

They have the best and most eclectic list of wholesome quality books. Most are award winning titles.

As a retired educator I can tell you that reading to a child, (even a high schooler!!!) is the most lasting and precious gift anyone can give. Nothing says "I love you" like sharing your time.

Reading to a child and reading in front of a child by parents teaches that reading is important. "So important that we devote special time for reading, and you should too!"

Reading to one's self is good way for a child to learn to entertain themself and is a refuge when they are troubled, sad or mad.

Having taught elementary, middle and high, at the end of the year the things they liked the most all year were:
1: Hearing true stories about what life was like when I was a kid (you know-the olden days before there were trees!!)

2: Being read to, especially dramatically read poems, stories and novels.

Here is the (very long) link right to the list:

http://www.google.com/search?q=readi...ls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&source=hp&channel=np#hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=rbI&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=np&q=reading+rainbow+books&revid=-1&sa=X&ei=pConTv_9EcrLgQeFichc&ved=0CJcBENUCKAE&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=1a31cd8525d58c0a&biw=1140&bih=1189
Thanks for this!!

As I said previously, I am very excited about adding to her library and to the experience of reading!! My daughter, now 27, fondly recalls nights of me reading one chapter a night of books like The Secret Garden and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, long after she moved on from Dr. Seuss (not that you can really move on from Dr Seuss!!!)