View Single Post
Old 07-21-2011, 03:17 AM
MonnaL

DH and SIL were off yesterday, and went shopping at the thrift stores. They took a picture of a beautiful vintage Necchi in a cabinet, and said the shop had gotten in four vintage machines in cabinets. They were asking a lot for the Necchi, but had a Singer 401a in a heavy maple cabinet for $35. The Necchi is a Mira, but I just didn't have $130 right now.

After reading the comments on this board via my iphone, I told them to bring her home! We still haven't decided if she will live with my daughter or me, but for right now she is residing in my garage. She's very dirty, and has no attachments, but the manual is in the drawer. Also missing the throat plate, but found one immediately online for $11.00. Whoever owned her previously kept her very well oiled and greased, which is obvious when tilted up. I looked up the serial number and she was born in Anderson, SC in 1961.

I'm looking forward to cleaning her up and getting her going by using all the tutorials on here and on the net.

Wow..these vintage machines are becoming an addiction! First, I found a Singer 247 in beautiful condition for $30. She is a wonderful baby blue, and I named her Audrey. After I got her home, I discovered she is not the best machine in the world because of her nylon gears, but she sews beautifully and saved my bacon because when I loaned my Singer portable to a family member, they brought it home without the zigzag and buttonhole foot and I needed to start school clothes for the grandbaby. Besides...she's so pretty I just like looking at her. LOL

Then I found a White 130 for $35 in mint condition. Everyone on here told me to grab it, because they are great machines. She's still sitting in the garage, too, but something tells me she is gonna be well worth the money.

And now the Singer 401a, which I think is my best find.

Uhhhh...how does one stop this vintage machine addiction? Just buy them until I run out of room? :)