Old 05-21-2009, 02:39 PM
JANW

Originally Posted by Diana Rainer
Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Sharon Schambers says to spray starch the backing. It's worth a try.
She uses pins no further than a palm-width apart, but you may want to use Sharon Schamber's herringbone basting stitch.
This is what I did with my last two. Starched, then used two pieces of trim boards, as she does in her video (utube), and hand basted. They didn't turn out 'perfect', but much better than I've done before. It takes quite awhile though.

I only used the basting spray once, but believe you need to spray small areas at a time, so you can make sure it's all smooth before it sticks together too much. Mine turned out all pruny looking, course I don't remember how well I taped, etc, either. :roll:

Beautiful, beautiful quilt!!! :D
I'm going to try her method, but the video uses basting instead of pins on utube. If that doesn't make the difference, I have some 108" backing from Jo-anns in the wing. I hate to give up on my pieced backing, because it uses all the Kafee Fassett coordinating fabrics that are in the quilt and it took a lot of time to make that. I also had to order more fabric and wait for it to come to do the back.