View Single Post
Old 07-21-2011, 12:55 PM
Lisanne

I had x-rays and an MRI yesterday, and the doctor called today to tell me my right knee joint "is shot." (His actual words.)

My right knee is unstable enough to prevent me from taking long walks and hiking. I asked him about a knee support or brace, meaning one of those things that look like big ace bandages with a knee hole in them.

I am quite overweight, and my thigh is much bigger than the knee and calf below. He says there isn't a brace that will fit the large thigh and smaller knee/lower leg.

Now surely I am not the only overweight woman in the world to have large thighs and smaller lower legs! In fact, I would expect this to be true of any woman whose lower legs aren't swollen from fluid retention.

So I'm hoping some of you out there can share your experience and knowledge about what knee supports or braces are out there, and if you're heavy and built like me, how you got one that fit. Or is there a way to just wrap an ace bandage to support the knee?

(He says a custom made one will be $1,000 - $1,500. I'm ready to invent my own and sell 'em on QVC. It should not need to be expensive or difficult to make a support that wraps around the knee and fastens above and below it, so you can fasten wherever the size of that part of your leg needs it. And if I did make these, they'd come covered in pretty fabric, not blah beige.)