Old 07-21-2011, 03:06 PM
charity-crafter

:lol: I have to say that GFG is not on my list of 'right of passage' quilts. Mine is a double wedding ring quilt. That flower garden and all those hexagons can just stay in the garden.

Originally Posted by nstewart9
just a word of advice...if you haven't made a quilt before, then start on a smaller project first-- Nothing kills the enthusiasm of a new quilter more than working on a very difficult large quilt
I'll second this. My very first attempt at quilting I tried a double wedding ring. I bought the little plastic template set and went to work....it's still sitting in a box in the closet. I didn't attempt quilting again for about 5 years, then it was something simple.

Also check out Bonnie at Quiltville.com she's put out a couple books "scraps and shirt tails" about quiting with old clothes she picks up at the local thrift store. http://quiltville.com/scrapsandshirttailspreview.shtml

So there are ways to quilt economically. If you have the time. But if money is no problem, you can spend as much as you have. And then a little more because you found this really useful ruler that will be good for this one pattern you saw. And hey, this pattern looks cool.

And the time it takes to make a quilt? Depends on the pattern and your schedule.

I've been able to complete a twin size top in a weekend-maybe 16 hours of good solid sewing with an easy pattern.

The quilting itself-well that can take longer then piecing the top.

Are you going to machine quilt it on your dms (domestic sewing machine)? or are you going to hand quilt or even tie it?

Hand quilting will take the rest of the year (you can tell I'm not much of a hand quilter) and tieing can be done in several hours.

Good luck and have fun.