View Single Post
Old 07-22-2011, 07:18 AM
Pam B

My elem school student day is from 8-2:40. We are in school the 180 days required by IN law. We have Labor Day, 2 days fall break in late Oct., 3 days at Thanksgiving, 2 weeks at Xmas, Pres. Day (unless needed for a snow make-up day), 1 week for spring break, Good Friday (unless the date falls during sp break or needed, otherwise, as a snow make-up day), and Memorial Day. We always start around the 20th of Aug (I think the 19th this year) and are generally finished by the 3rd-ish of June.

IN education law has requirements for daily instructional minutes and for number of days. Schools are not allowed to extend days and 'bank' minutes to lessen the 180 days. I know some corps. are looking at reducing some of the days off and shortening Xmas vacation. Our vacation/days off are very much the same as they were when I was a child in school.

The only big change we have had was recently adding the 3rd day to Thanksgiving vacation. We are off Wed., Thurs., and Fri. and I think every single female teacher absolutely LOVES it! Those who need to be cooking don't feel quite the panic as they have the day off to do that. I use the Weds. to go Xmas shopping because my family celebrates T'giving on Sat. and I generally spend Fri cooking. This way I feel like I have a 'vacation' as well.