Old 07-22-2011, 01:43 PM
quiltstodo

Originally Posted by emmah
I know what the "experts" say, but I guarantee that someone along the way will toss old quilts in bad condition, I have seen it time and again, so.....I vote to fix them.
Make tracing paper templates of the pieces that are needed and find fabrics that are similar in feel and tone to the damaged ones. Applique these over the damaged ones. If whole blocks are shot, make a new one and applique it over top of the old one and hand quilt it if needed. THEN make a label that states that the original maker was ______and that the restoration work was by granddaughter_________. This makes them double valuable to family members, and if somebody 100 years from now wants to put it in their museum, they have the information, and can unsew your work if they desire.
I agree. I usually look on ebay for what they call cutter quilts or quilt tops that way I can take them apart and use the vintage fabric for repairs on the quilts. Also estate sales for the old clothes since so many were made from leftover fabric after making the families clothes.