Old 07-22-2011, 06:03 PM
meemersmom

I am a manager for a medical billing service. I can say with absolute certainty that if a doctor properly documents what services were performed and what issues were addressed with a particular patient, they are indeed allowed to bill for two visits done the same day -- one as the scheduled routine physical, and the other for problems that were brought up by the patient. Coding and billing rules are very strict on when a physician is allowed to do this. From what some of you say, your doctors are not following the rules. The rules are too varied to go into here, but if anyone has any specific questions about your situations, please feel free to PM me. I read where some people have just paid the bills --- they can be appealed, and with a favorable outcome for you. I would be happy to share how.

Edited to add.....before you pay any bill to a doctor's office, question the processing with the insurance carrier first. If a visit is denied, depending on the reason, the doctor has the write it off (or fight it themselves) and is not allowed to bill you for it per their contract with the insurance carrier.