Thread: frugalness!
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2011, 04:17 AM
kaykwilts

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
Originally Posted by Lisanne
Food: Read up on extreme couponing.

Also, whenever you buy anything, check the receipt to be sure it's correct. Some groceries will give you the item for free if they overrang it. (Some won't, but at least they'll give back the amount the overcharged.)

Shop the sales, check the unit price before deciding which size to buy (sometimes the "large economy size" actually costs more per ounce or whatever than the smaller size), shop in the mornings for meat, as yesterday's meat is often discounted first thing next day but may sell out by afternoon.

Switch over to the fluorescent lightbulbs.

Drive within the speed limit as it uses less gas. Keep your gas tank full and your oil changed for more efficient car engine function.

Swap and barter where you can.

Try starting a garden, even if it's just some tomatoes in a pot.

Call the utility companies to ask what kinds of budget plans they offer.
I agree with all but this : " Keep your gas tank full." Why drive around town with a full tank? Fill up only for taking long trips. We are always being told to lighten the load for more efficiency.
There is a reasoning behind keeping your gas tank full. I read a fascinating article about it on the internet several months ago....the reasoning is this....Have you ever noticed how when your gas gauge hits the half mark, it seems to go down faster than the first half? The reason is this: The space in your tank allows for evaporation to take place(from the heat of the engine), and thus a good portion of the that last half tank is wasted...not going through your engine. I have tried this in the past few months, and it seems that I am not going through the gas as much. Other tips in the article were this: fill your tank as early in the day as possible, when ground temperatures are cooler. The gas coming up from the ground is cooler and more condensed. Also, when filling, use the slower speed on the pump. This allows for less agitation in the tank, which adds air to the tank., which means you get less gas for your money.

So I think there is a reason for keeping the tank full...I fill up whenever I hit the half mark now, and I am seeing a difference....small, but a difference. But in addition to all the other reasons....I love the peace of mind knowing that IF an emergency happened (and we live 25 miles from the closest hospital), I have the gas to get there......