View Single Post
Old 07-23-2011, 05:45 AM
maine ladybug

Originally Posted by A1Lori
I reside in ME and am skeptical of how many quilts will be at the show this year because of the great restrictions they have imposed for this show. If you are going to hang a quilt at the show, you need written permission from the quilt pattern creator due to copyright laws. The cloth is sometimes copyrighted, the patterns are copyrighted, the pantos are copyrighted, etc. so where does this madness end? This restriction is for every quilt, not just the ones being judged. I know it deterred me from showing any. Some you just don't even know who to give credit to - perhaps a UFO that you have laying around that was from a magazine - oh but which one and what date - etc.

In looking at the recent catalog from Keepsake Quilting, it seems copyright doesn't hold much water anyways. I found four in that catalog that were very, very similar to other quilt patterns I've used/seen in the past. Only changing one minor thing per block, with the overall appearance of the quilt being the same. So really, there is not much protection anyway.

Getting back to the show, I am taking a class with Bonnie McAffrey and going to the Champagne Preview.
Just so you can put your mind at ease, the Maine Quilt Show will have just as many quilts this year as last year.
I am involved with the show and can tell you that most people had no trouble getting the permission they needed to show their quilts. This was done to protect everyone and to make sure the show will continue on. It's unfortunately a necessary part of our lives today to protect against lawsuits.
It will be a wonderful show as always and you'll be viewing just as many quilts.