View Single Post
Old 07-23-2011, 06:48 AM
Becky D

I totally LOVE Creative Grids rulers because they are non-slip. They are the only brand of basic rulers that I buy. My favorites of these rulers are: 6 1/2" x 12 1/2", 6 1/2" x 24 1/2", 8 1/2" x 24 1/2", 2 1/2" square, 3 1/2" square, 4 1/2" square, 6 1/2" square, 9 1/2" square, and 12 1/2" square. I have slowly collected these and my other quilting tools over years from my LQS. So now I have a lot of tools.

I have made a fair amount of Flying Geese and I love the "Flying Geese X 4 No Math Ruler 8 1/4in sq" by Lazy Girl Designs - Joan Hawley. I bought mine at my LQS. But, if you can't find it, here's a website that sells them: http://www.checkerdist.com/products/FGX4. You make 4 flying geese at a time with virtually no waste of fabric. With this one ruler, you can make 12 different sizes of flying geese. Which makes this ruler far superior to the Quilt in a Day flying geese rulers which make2 to 4 different sizes, even though the Lazy Girl is more expensive.

I LOVE the Olfa 24" x 36" dark green self healing cutting mat that I've had for about 18 years now. It still works great. There are some grooves in it, but nothing too bad. I don't cut on the same spots all the time. I rarely use the markings on the mat to measure. Because it's more accurate, I mostly use the markings on my ruler to measure. I have used it a TON! It takes a long time to wear grooves in it at all. So it really is self healing for a long time. I've heard, possibly on this blog, that when the mat gets too grooved to use, it can be soaked in warmish/hottish water in the bath tub for a few hours. Mine hasn't got to the point where I have tried this. Also, when it's too worn on one side, you can turn it over and use the back side. Again, mine hasn't been bad enough to try this either.

Hope this helps!

Becky D.