Old 07-23-2011, 07:26 AM
islandboundquilting

Hi craftybear, I have two vintage quilts made by both of my great grandmothers. I am the only quilter left in our family, so my aunt gave me the quilts. They were both is sad shape, and I agonized about what to do with them. I finally decided that the value in them was not monitary or for show, the value was because my greatgrandmothers had made them. I decided that I wanted to be able to display them and enjoy. The first one was made by my paternal great grandmother, it is a dresden plate. It was in the best shape. It was real dirty and even had some blood on it!! (I think it was used for a picnic quilt) The binding was totally trashed and the final sashing border was frayed. Some of the places were a little bit frayed. First I decided to wash it. It washed up beautifully. Then I replaced the sashing and rebound it. It is now on the back of my couch looking beautiful!!! I think it was made i the 30's.

The second one as a label on the back embrordered, to my great grandfather made in 1898. It is a drunkard path. It is in real bad shape. There are holes in it. Thats the main problem. So I have appliqued new pieces over the holy frayed blocks, it is made with white and indigo blu fabric. I am not done with that one yet. I am going to cut the frayed edges of the missing areas and replace with new appliqued blocks. its all hand quilted so then I will quilt when I am done. It is a beautiful quilt and I think I can bring it back to its glory!! (my aunt thought the dog had made the holes,) I know I have been rambeling, but I just love the old quilts expecially if you have some family history to go along with them. What ever you decide to do enjoy your quilts. Darcey