View Single Post
Old 07-23-2011, 03:09 PM
Sewlmatesister

Originally Posted by lots2do
Hi all,
Some of you may remember me posting last summer about my son going away to college and my feelings about it. Well, the joke was on me (and seems to continue to be on me).

He went to school 45 minutes away and as some of you suggested, was home every single weekend. Which wasn't a completely bad thing, as my dental hygienist said, at least he wasn't partying at school on the weekends. As you can imagine, empty nest was not an issue. Part One of the joke. Also the imagined bliss of spending more time alone with hubby did not happen - due to the every weekend thing.

Part Two of the Joke: Now, he is transferring to St. Mary's College in Halifax, Canada for the coming school year. Completely of his doing and his desire and while I applaud him for this, it is a long way away. At least 12 hours by car and no real easy way to get there more quickly.

I am happy for him. He needs to become more independent and he'll have to, so far from home. I am also a bit anxious but that seems like a normal reaction.

Later on, I'll need some advice on sending packages to Canada. I won't be able to go when he moves in, DH will be handling that. It feels a little wierd not seeing where he'll be in person but someday I hope to get there.
Thanks for listening (again),
lots2do
The best advice you'll ever get is don't ever send a package by courier......UPS...etc....DO NOT DO IT!!!!!!! You will get charged with excessive brokerage fees at the border!!!!!! NEVER NEVER NEVER!!!!! Heard stories of people gettting huge fees, way more than the item was worth! USPS or Canada Post the other way!!!!!
Ruth