Old 07-23-2011, 09:45 PM
jljack

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by jljack
Speaking of quilts finished on vintage machines, we had a sew-in at guild meeting yesterday and did a Jelly Roll Race. I took my 301a with me, and guess what....we WON the Jelly Roll Race. There were lots of high $$$ modern machines and about 6 FWs there too, but me and Ida took the prize!!! WooHoo!! Who says 60 years is old? Ida and I were both "born" in 1951. :-) I was so pleased that she did so well....she just purred along!!
Congrats! Sounds like you had a blast with Ida. It will be interesting to see who in that group of modern machines starts looking for a vintage e-machine after that event. It is wonderful to sew with these vintage machines over the modern machine. Please post picture of the winning quilt top or whatever was made with the jelly roll. Way to go!!!
Hahaha!! They cut up some donated pretty ugly fabrics into jelly rolls for this one event. They sold them for $5 each, because no one wanted to buy the fabric otherwise! LOL Anyway, you sew all 40 strips end to end, totaling 1600 inches. When they say GO, you bring the ends together, front to front, and sew all down that one very long side...800". When you get to the end, you cut the fold and flatten it out, and bring the ends together again, sew, clip, flatten, sew, etc. for a total of 5 times. Here's what mine looked like when done. Shocking, isn't it??? :shock:
Attached Thumbnails attachment-230897.jpe