Old 07-23-2011, 09:58 PM
VickyS

Originally Posted by kristelwyman
i'm going to stop in at a fabric store today... i'm not sure if they sell what i'll need, but hopefully they will...

i'm going to pick up:

- one of those rings for hand quilting (when i think about it, i should at least try it)
- a Singer 1/4 Inch Foot #076838-P
- pins... are they called basting pins?
- more needles

anything else i am overlooking?

i'm thinking of trying to make this: http://sewkatiedid.wordpress.com/201.../#comment-4888 what do you think? do you think a beginner like me could do it?
Great wholecloth quilt with applique! Nice thing about it, you don't have to put the drops on by machine or use a lot of them.

It will be hard to get everything you want at one store. I would suggest your local quilt store to see what the good quilting rings look like, then either buy it there or at your local Walmart's or Joann's. The Singer foot will probably have to be from your local sewing machine repair shop or online - not everyone carries them.

Check out the Search link above to see what others have said about needles, thread, and pins to use, before spending any more money.

Other than that, go for it! If nothing else, cut a bunch of squares and strips. Put short strips on each side of the squares and long strips between each row and sew them together for a simple quilt top. You can use embroidery thread or Perle Cotton to tie knots to attach the back to the front and the batting, if you are worried about your top fitting in your machine to machine quilt it.

Don't worry about the brand of the machine. As you can see, it is a personal preference and a cost issue. Just use what you have for now and you will be able to decide how technical you want to get as you get better at it.

Welcome aboard!